What is Reiki?
Reiki (pronounced ray – key) is a healing technique developed in the early 1900’s by Mikao Usui in Japan. It is an art-form that is passed from Master to student.
Reiki is a complementary health technique that can provide physical, emotional, and behavioural support to animals. An Animal Reiki Practitioner uses the flow of energy to support animals with issues like arthritis, digestive disorders, post-surgical trauma, anxiety, chronic illness, behavioural challenges, and end-of-life issues. Think of it as a complement to veterinary care, not a stand-alone “cure” or a substitute for it.
How is Reiki beneficial for animals?
When animals are stressed (because of physical injury, illness, or environmental triggers), they produce cortisol – the “fight-or-flight” hormone. High cortisol levels can reduce the immune system’s efficiency and make it much more difficult to heal from acute or chronic issues. A stressed animal also has trouble regulating emotions and behaviours. This is where Reiki comes in!
During a Reiki session, the practitioner will help the animal to feel more relaxed. Connecting with the life force energy all living beings possess, practitioners bring balance to the body, reduce stress, and promote healing. Depending on the temperament and preferences of the animal client, this may or may not involve physical touch. In fact, Reiki with animals works beautifully from a distance because pets don’t need to leave the comfort of their homes!
For a great summary of the scientific literature supporting the use of veterinary Reiki, check out this article from the journal of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association (Volume 54, Spring Issue, 2019).
Reiki benefits for pets may include:
- Alleviates stress and facilitates a calm mental state in pets
- Supports an animal’s energy levels and overall well-being
- Acts as a compliment to veterinary treatment
- Supports animals to heal after surgery, injury, or trauma
- Brings balance to the body so the animal can better deal with acute or chronic illness
- Supports pets through depression or grief
- Helps pets with social or emotional challenges such as separation anxiety or fear of strangers
- Owners benefit by passing along compassionate care and kindness, which strengthens the bond between them and their pet
How can I refer my veterinary patients for Reiki?
I can provide a customized booking link for your clients to use to schedule Reiki services with me. You will receive a commission for all referred clients who use that link.
If you prefer to handle the scheduling and payments, we can always make alternate arrangements.
Please contact me to see if we can work out a mutually beneficial arrangement for referral.